Sections and Practice Schedule the Week of April 3
- Sections are on Saturday, April 8th in Watertown. All students are scheduled to compete with the exception of two students who have told me that they are out of town.
- All students are required to email or share their script with me. (email@example.com)
- PRACTICE SCHEDULE FOR THE WEEK OF APRIL 3RD
- Monday, April 3rd: 3:15 to 5:15 p.m. at High School Media Center
- Tuesday, April 4th: 6:00 p.m. to 7:30 p.m. at RCC
- Wednesday, April 5th: 6:00 p.m. to 7:30 p.m. at RCC
- Thursday, April 6th: 7:00 p.m. to 8:30 p.m. at RCC
- All students are required to practice twice before a coach that week in order to compete.
- Please have your student review the Minnesota State High School League Rules regarding speech competition, paying specific attention to your studentís individual event. Students have worked very hard to perfect their pieces. It would be a shame to have a student penalized or disqualified for a rule violation. Here is a link to the rules:
2017 Tournament Schedule
(All Meets are Away)
2/4 Albany HS
2/11 St. Michael/Albertville HS
2/25 Maple Lake HS
3/2 (After School)-Conference Meet at Orono HS
3/11 Maple Grove HS
3/18 New London/Spicer HS
3/25 Melrose HS
4/8 SECTIONS-Watertown-Mayer HS
4/22 State Tournament
February 4th Meet and Information about Participation in Meets (Preparation and Dress Code)
Our first meet will be on February 4th in Albany. I have about seven students who indicate that they will be ready to participate. A few other students have told me that they just want to come to watch. I would encourage any students who do not want to compete, but just watch, to do so.
Please note the following:
- In order to compete on 2/4 (or any meet), I will need to observe the student's performance during practice the week before a meet. This is to ensure that the student is ready and that they are compliant with the rules for their particular event. I may make exceptions to this rule as the season goes on (especially for Juniors and Seniors), but I need final discretion on whether a student is truly ready. Overall, all students have been doing a great job. I am impressed with the diligence, creativity, and team-centered attitudes your students have demonstrated thus far.
- Student must print their scripts out and have them mounted on black construction paper. I have plenty of black construction paper. Students can use practice time to mount their scripts.
- Speech meets are considered "dress up" events. For the ladies, this would include dress shoes, blouse, skirt, suit (pant suit or skirt suit). No hats, no sneakers, no jeans, no clothes that a student would typically wear to school. If a student has questions about this, they can contact a captain directly or I can help put them in touch with a captain. Any outfit must be clean and tasteful. Please also note that a student can wear a Rockford-logo jacket to a meet (such as a letter jacket) but that when it is time to compete, students cannot wear clothing bearing school logos, insignia, etc. Finally, please note that just because students are expected to dress up, that does not mean that students need to dress in fancy or expensive clothes. I do not want Speech to be a financial burden on any family.
Tentative Practice Schedule for 2017
Our first practice will be January 4, 2017 from 6pm to 8pm at the Rockford Community Center, Room 806.
Our regular practice schedule will be as follows:
Mondays 3:15 p.m. until 5:15 p.m. at High School Media Center.
Wednesdays from 6:00 p.m. until 8:00 p.m. at Rockford Community Center, Room 806.
I understand that students' schedules may not permit attendance at both practices. If that is the case for your student, please let me know. I have tried to create a schedule that allow each student at least one opportunity per week to practice with me.
Join Speech Today!!
Rocket Activities would like to welcome our NEW Speech Advisor John Bowen!
to register for Speech.